Blocking your toilet is a truly horrifying experience and many people reach for a plunger when this happens but they can sometimes make the blockage worse or be very ineffective.
We'll show you how to unblock a toilet without a plunger and cover everything from how to unblock a toilet full of poo, to what you need to do to unblock a slow draining toilet. So panic not, we have you covered.
This method is a good one to use if you can see the cause of the clog, for example excessive toilet paper or stools. Most people use a coat hanger for this but a small length of garden hose can be a great alternative and works in pretty much the same way.
1. Decide whether you will use a coat hanger or a piece of hosepipe. If you are using a coat hanger, make sure to choose a metal one, if you choose to use a hosepipe you must ensure that it is fairly rigid but with a degree of flexibility.
2. If you’re using a coat hanger, you will need to use wire cutters to cut the wire just slightly right of the hook. Once you have done this, bend the coat hanger to form a straight piece of wire.
3. You do not need to empty the water from the toilet bowl in this method. If you’re able to remove the clog, the water will empty by itself.
4. Put on some rubber gloves and be prepared to get dirty. This job isn’t for the faint hearted and may result in your arm being submerged in toilet water.
5. Use the piece of hosepipe or hanger as a lever to try to dislodge the clog. You may need to try this at many different angles and go from side to side and up and down. If the clog isn’t shifting from trying to lever it out, try to break down the cause of the clog with the hanger or hosepipe.
6. Do this for around 5-10 minutes before choosing a different method. Sometimes blocks can be very stubborn and require a lot of shifting around.
You will know if you have removed the clog as the toilet water will rapidly fall and flush away the matter that caused the blockage. After attempting this method, please be sure to wash your hands and arms thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap.