There's not much more annoying than having fruit flies buzzing around your home, particularly the kitchen. Not only are they a nuisance, but they can also leave behind harmful pathogens on your food. Knowing how to get rid of fruit flies in the house will ensure that you, your family and your guests do not become sick.
Another method on how to get rid of fruit flies within your home is the fruit in a jar trap. All fruit flies love fruit so use this to your advantage. We’ve chosen banana but any fruit will do.
To make the trap you will need:
- A jar or plastic bottle cut in half
- Cling film
- Elastic band
- Over ripe fruit such as bananas
- Soapy water
Making the Trap
1. Place the over ripe fruit into the bottom of the jar. Then cover with cling film and secure with an elastic band.
2. Using a toothpick, create a few holes in the cling film, allowing the flies access into the jar. Although the flies can get in, they won’t be able to get out.
3. Once you have collected the flies in the jar, you will need the soapy water.
4. You will need to submerge the jar in the water for around 15 minutes to ensure that they have drowned.
5. You can then empty the jar and start the entire process again.