A good toilet brush and holder set will probably be one of the last things you’ll think about when decorating a bathroom. However, it’s an essential part of the bathroom, both in terms of practicality and hygiene. It may sit quietly on the floor to the side of the toilet, but it gets seen every time you or a guest uses the facilities.
The best toilet brush and holder set should compliment your bathroom design but more importantly, it needs to be sturdy, easy to use and it must clean your toilet properly. Discover what our top 7 best toilet brush and holder sets are and what features you need to consider when buying.
Top Features | Best Toilet Brush and Holder Sets
For very little investment, the right toilet brush and holder set will complement your bathroom and improve overall hygiene for you and your family. Take a look at the following factors to bear in mind when shopping for the best toilet brush and holder set:
- Type – There are two distinct types of toilet brush type – the freestanding and the wall-mounted. The majority are freestanding and simply stand on the bathroom floor. However, some homeowners prefer a wall-mounted model that attaches to the wall using a small bracket, giving a better aesthetic and not taking up floor space. These are also better for those with back or mobility issues.
- Design – Brushes come in various shapes and sizes, but tend to follow certain patterns. Most buyers will have seen both cylindrical and rectangular box-shaped models. The cylindrical type suits a curvy, quiet bathroom while the box-type tends to be a little more showy and eye-catching, for a glitzy bathroom. They can also be tall or short, with either a long box component or just a small holder for the end of the brush, comparable to a bucket shape.
- Handle and Holder Materials – The material that the toilet brush is made from is a huge factor. They come in plastic, stainless steel, wood and even marble. The material used affects the costs of the brush, how it looks and can even impact hygiene. A stainless steel brush tends to be easy to clean (providing it’s corrosion resistant) and looks smart, whereas a plastic model can look a little on the cheap side but costs a lot less – plus you won’t have to worry about it rusting.
- Handle Design – The main factor for a handle is length, especially if you don’t like bending down much. A longer handle makes this easier, but won’t always suit the room – you may prefer the toilet brush to be less conspicuous. The ideal brush should have an ergonomic handle with a comfortable grip to make it easier on your hands while you’re scrubbing away. Lastly, a brush should have a good head of bristles that are effective at removing stains while lasting a long time too.
- Opening – Some toilet brushes lift out of the container from the top, while others are lifted from out the side. This distinction is largely down to preference. A tall container where the brush lifts out vertically tends to look a little neater but is a little more awkward to use.
- Toilet Brush Holder – The holder should be just as important as the brush itself as it largely determines how the unit looks and performs when not in use. They can also be disappointingly flimsy, which is why some holders are sold separately for those with a good brush but a poor holder. A decent holder should have a weighted base to stop the brush from tipping out and not fall over after an accidental kick.
- Size and Weight – The variance in size between toilet brushes can be quite surprising. A larger and heavier brush will be nice and sturdy and should make cleaning very easy, but it can also take up floor space and may look too large for the room.
Our 7 Best Toilet Brush and Holder Sets Reviewed
7. Ikea Bolmen
Costing less than one pound, the Ikea Bolmen is your typical, bog-standard toilet brush annd holder that’s perfect for cleaning a toilet occasionally. The downside of this cheapness is lack of any special features; it’s plastic, has a small handle and has a tiny base that just about seats the brush.
That being said, there is still a certain aesthetic quality to the Bolmen that you can always expect from Ikea; it’s a shade nicer-looking than a budget toilet brush and holder set you’d find in your local shops, and best of all, it’s so cheap that it can be easily replaced.
6. Addis Closed Toilet Brush and Holder Set
The Addis Closed Toilet Brush and Holder Set is affordable and better than your usual low-end toilet brush as it has a few useful features that will surely make you never look back to bargain bin brushes.
The holder is cylindrical but with some smooth tapering that makes it look more aesthetically pleasing, plus it has a closed top to prevent odours from escaping.
Despite being plastic, its construction is sturdy and durable and the lid – which is built into the handle – doubles as a kind of hand guard to avoid splashes during cleaning.
5. Dip-San “The Hygienic Toilet Brush”
The Dip-San is appropriately named “the hygienic toilet brush”, thanks to a unique design that you won’t see on other brushes. Though it costs a little more than most other toilet brush and holder sets, it excels in health and hygiene.
You can press the handle to dip the brush into cleaning liquid in the holder, creating an effortless and hygienic way to ensure that the toilet brush is kept clean.
If that’s not enough, the brush heads can be replaced. While the handle is a little short, the overall size of the toilet brush is quite tall.
The neat design of the holder is closed when not in use and doesn’t topple over due to its broad base. Despite the only recommended cleaning fluid is from Dip-San themselves, users have used a variety of different toilet cleaning solutions with success.
4. OXO Good Grips Compact Toilet Brush Set
The main feature of the OXO Good Grips Compact Toilet Brush stands out immediately; an ergonomic handle that will make it easy to grip and use. The secure grip handle is designed to avoid the handle spinning in your hand while cleaning the toilet, and the brush head is tapered to allow easier cleaning of the rim.
The toilet brush holder is short and stable with a broad base, and it has a spring-loaded door which conveniently, gently opens by itself when you lift the brush. Featuring a clean and curvy design, the OXO Good Grips Compact Toilet Brush should suit any contemporary bathroom.
3. John Lewis Gatsby
The Gatsby is a fantastic-looking toilet brush – the brush of choice for anyone who wants to perfect the look of a luxurious bathroom. Why settle for any basic toilet brush and holder, when it could be an opportunity to shine?
The holder presents a squared design with mirrored tiles which really stands out in any well-lit bathroom, while the opening remains closed when not in use for hygiene purposes and to prevent odours from seeping out.
The toilet brush itself features sturdy black bristles attached to a black pole which does well to camouflage dirty stains. Without a doubt, the John Lewis Gatsby is the best toilet brush and holder set for a glamorous bathroom.
2. House by John Lewis Toilet Brush and Holder Set
The House Toilet Brush and Holder Set by John Lewis range is a simple plastic toilet brush, but given a contemporary makeover with some clever design touches. The design is box-shaped but with rounded edges and a gentle taper that make it feel more sleek and neat.
The handle is a little short and basic, but the unit itself is fairly tall, while the plastic exterior has a rubberised finish that lends a feeling of quality. Coming in a choice of clean white and gentle grey, this toilet brush and holder set is perfect for minimalistic bathroom.
1. Brabantia Profile Toilet Brush and Holder Set
The best toilet brush and holder set on our list, the Brabantia Profile Toilet Brush and Holder is constructured from stainless steel and presents a very elegant design. Smart, sleek and modern, this brush is perfect for any contemporary bathroom with other metal furnishings. The holder is closed for hygiene purposes and the functional brush is designed for reaching into hard-to-reach areas.
The deluxe toilet brush holder is free standing and wall-mountable, ideal for saving a little floor space and adding another touch of quality and class.
The materials are all corrosion-resistant, so you needn’t have to worry about rust getting on your hands or bathroom floor.
All-in-all, the Brabantia Profile Toilet Brush and Holder set combines design, practicality and quality for an essential bathroom accessory.