A good washing up bowl is an everyday kitchen essential. Having a bowl that fits your sink perfectly makes filling, washing-up and emptying much more convenient. Meanwhile, an ill-fitting bowl can lead to spillages, lessened capacity and is more likely to become damaged – along with your crockery.
Whether you’re washing-up, clearing spillages, or cleaning windows, a washing up bowl’s work is never done. So, take the time to make sure you choose the right one. Read on for some top tips on choosing a bowl and find out our top 5 best washing up bowls.
Top Features | Best Washing Up Bowls
However, it’s not just the shape and size that’s important anymore. There are a vast range of washing up bowls, with many useful features which might just make chores easier and less messy.
From bowls which help to protect your crockery and sink to those that have their own plugs and strainers, there is a washing up bowl to suit every kitchen. If you’re into contemporary design, you can buy a Scandinavian-designed rubber bowl.
Then, there are even washing up bowls that fold down, so that you really can take the kitchen sink on holiday with you! With so many washing up bowls out there, it’s worth considering which features most suit your kitchen and lifestyle.
- Size and Shape – First and foremost, will it fit your kitchen sink? If the bowl has handles, check to see if the measurements include these.
- Soft Touch Base – Stainless steel, resin and ceramic sinks are all particularly susceptible to scratches. To protect your sink, look for a bowl with soft touch feet.
- Non-Slip Feet – Useful to stop your bowl sliding around, especially if using around the house. Furthermore, feet also have the advantage of raising the bowl, allowing better drainage and keeping the bowl cleaner too.
- Collapsible – These bowls fold down to just a few centimeters which makes them ideal for camping, travelling and smaller spaces.
- Handles – A useful addition for those occasions when you want to clean around the house. Handles make lifting the bowl out of the sink and carrying it around so much easier.
- Removable Draining Plug – A fuss-free way of emptying your washing up bowl without covering yourself or the worktop. Some bowls even come with a plug that can strain debris so you don’t clog up the plughole in your sink.
Our 5 Best Washing Up Bowls Reviewed
5. Wham Round Washing Up Bowl
Made from high-grade plastic and with a high gloss interior, these washing up bowls from Wham are built to last and they’re easy to wipe clean too. To make lifting and carrying easy, they have been moulded to include two comfortable side grips. These round washing up bowls are available in small, medium or large to fit any kitchen sized sink.
- The small bowl has an external diameter of 28cm at the top and a height of 12cm
- The medium measures 32cm at the top and is 13.5cm high
- While the large bowl measures 36cm at the top with a height of 15cm
All measurements are exclusive of the handles. Raised feet underneath the bowls allow easy drainage as well as preventing the base from staining. The Wham round washing up bowls come in a huge range of colours to match any kitchen interior including silver, purple, duck egg, teal, ice white, chilli red, mocha, cream and soft lime.
4. Normann Copenhagen Washing-Up Bowl & Brush
For a contemporary and unique take on the traditional washing up bowl, look no further than the Normann Copenhagen Washing Up Bowl & Brush. This Scandinavian-designed bowl is made from flexible rubber and the shade of mint green is delightful. Simple yet stylish, this washing up bowl measures 28 x 28 x 14 cm and is also dishwasher safe.
To complete the look, the Normann Copenhagen comes complete with a wooden dish brush. Even the brush is special, with a conical handle made from beech wood and a round head with natural bristles.
3. ADDIS Soft Touch Washing Up Bowl
Featuring a unique liner which offers a soft base, the ADDIS Soft Touch Washing Up Bowl helps protect your dishes during washing. The bowl itself measures 33.5 x 31.5 x 14cm and has a capacity of 8.5 litres.
Handles moulded into the plastic make lifting and carrying easy while the bowl sits on four soft touch curved feet to prevent scratches to the sink and to stop the bowl from slipping.
To match any kitchen design, the ADDIS Soft Touch Washing Up Bowl comes in a choice of three colour combinations – the black/grey and grey/aqua green will complement granite worktops, a classic white with grass green liner offers a more neutral option.
2. Orbit Innovations Collapsible Washing Up Bowl
The best washing up bowl for camping trips or for washing muddy paws at the seaside, the Collapsible Washing Up Bowl by Orbit Innovations conveniently collapses down when not in use. When folded, this washing up bowl measures just 5cm deep, therefore, it will easily slip into the boot of the car or a bag.
It’s also a great product if you are short of space in the kitchen and would like a larger bowl for washing-up and cleaning. The bowl measures 37.5 x 27.5 x 12cm unfolded and has a 10 litre capacity.
The Orbit Innovations Collapsible Washing Up Bowl also features a plastic footed base and because the bowl is raised off the surface, it’s more hygienic and offers greater durability too.
1. Joseph Joseph Wash and Drain
A multitude of practical features incorporated into the Joseph Joseph Wash and Drain provides the ultimate convenience when doing the dishes. Steep sloping sides keep water and soap in the bowl making washing-up easier while two sturdy carry handles allows the bowl to be easily lifted out of the basin.
At the base of the white Wash and Drain is a lime green plug that provides quick and easy drainage – when you are ready to empty the bowl, turn the plug to the strain position. Once the water has drained, simply remove the plug and tip debris into the waste bin. For a quick drain, just remove the plug completely.
In this clever design, the bowl is raised off the basin by curved legs at each corner. In addition to providing a smooth flow of water out of the plughole, this also helps to keep the bottom of the bowl clean.
The Wash and Drain by Joseph Joseph measures 31.5 x 31cm, and with a height of 20cm, the Wash and Drain will fit within most kitchen basins. The innovative design ticks all boxes of the best washing up bowl for speed, ease and convenience of washing up – something every busy family needs.