All salad should be washed before eating, to ensure that dirt and harmful bacteria are removed. Traditional methods of drying salad leaves, such a shaking in a colander or patting dry with a kitchen towel, can damage the cells and leave your lettuce limp.
However, if you don’t remove enough water, you’re guaranteed to end up with a puddle on your plate, making everything else soggy, too.
A salad spinner uses centrifugal force, gently separating water from the leaves, without the need for shaking or patting. As well as leaving your salad – or herbs and vegetables – crispier, using a spinner is quicker and more effective.
With salad proving a popular healthy meal option, there are many models on the market today – small salad spinners, ideal for individual servings, ones that allow dressing to be added while you spin, and those that spin simply by pressing a button. Here are our top 5 best salad spinners.
Our 5 Best Salad Spinners Reviewed
5. Ikea TOKIG Salad Spinner
- Minimalistic budget salad spinner
- Winding mechanism can control the spin speed
- Hand grip to hold securely while spinning
- 24 cm diameter – ideal for 2–3 servings
- Salad can be washed in the basket, so no need for a separate colander
- BPA-free plastic that’s safe for use with food
The minimalistic Ikea Salad Spinner, or Tokig, offers a budget-friendly product for drying your salad. Measuring 15 cm in height and with a diameter of 24 cm, this spinner is a good size for a small family.
Salad, vegetables and herbs can be washed in the basket – no need for a separate colander – and then transferred straight to the spinner. With the basket in place, a handle on the lid is turned to dry the contents. To help keep the Tokig secure, the lid also features a hand grip on the opposite side to the handle. Once the water has been removed, the bowl can be used to serve.
Made from white, BPA-free plastic, the bowl is transluscent, while the spinning basket and lid are opaque. This salad spinner is handwash only.
4. KitchenCraft Compact Salad Spinner
- Compact design saves space in the cupboard
- 19 cm diameter – ideal for individual servings
- Lid aperture – add and mix dressings while you spin
- Winding mechanism for an accurate spin speed control
- Twist-action handle that’s easy to turn
- Dishwasher safe for convenient cleaning
At a compact 19 cm, this small salad spinner is perfect for one or two servings and takes up less space in the cupboard than larger models.
Operated by a winding mechanism, the speed of the Compact Salad Spinner by KitchenCraft can be easily controlled to cater for more delicate herbs or hardier lettuce leaves. In addition to the twist-action handle, the lid has a substantial clip to hold it firmly in place.
Ideal for adding a perfect coating of your favourite salad dressing, the KitchenCraft Compact Salad Spinner also features an opening in the lid. A transparent acrylic bowl houses the clear plastic spinning basket; the lid is all white. Making it easy to clean, this sald spinner can be disassembled and put into the dishwasher.
3. KitchenCraft Salad Spinner
- Opening in lid – add salad dressings while you spin, for a perfect coating
- Chunky handle for an easy grip
- Winding mechanism ensures precise spinning speed control
- Substantial clips firmly secure lid
- 24 cm diameter – good size for a small family
- Basket can be used as a colander; just wash and spin
- Dishwasher safe bowl and basket for easy cleaning
- Lime green features add a splash of colour to your kitchen
The multi-functional lid of the Kitchen Craft Salad Spinner is what makes this model stand out – a chunky, lime green handle allows you to maintain a solid grip while spinning the salad as you wind; two substantial clips firmly secure the lid to the bowl underneath; finally, there is a dedicated opening for the addition of salad dressings as you spin, coating leaves perfectly, with no excess sauce (or calories).
With its lime green basket (which can also double as a colander), clips and handle, this salad spinner will brighten up any kitchen.
Measuring 24 cm at the top, the transparent plastic bowl is a good size for a small family; it can also be used to serve your dish. After use, the bowl and basket can be conveniently cleaned in the dishwasher.
2. Zyliss Swift Dry Salad Spinner
- Aqua Vent technology removes 25% more water
- Lever mechanism pumps effortlessly to spin
- Non-slip base stays firmly in place while spinning and serving
- Lock down lever to save space when not in use
- Dual-use basket to wash your food and then transfer to the spinner to dry
- Generous capacity of 26 cm diameter
- BPA-free food safe plastic
Thanks to a unique basket design, the aptly named Swift Dry removes up to 25% more water than leading competitors. Zyliss’ Aqua Vent technology comprises a contoured basket with a larger surface area, making water removal more efficient. The basket can be used to wash salad, herbs or vegetables, before spinning dry, with no need for a separate colander.
Operated by pumping a lever up and down, with a non-slip base helping to keep it firmly in place, the Swift Dry allows for effortless spinning. The Zyliss also has a handy stop button, if you wish to halt the basket before it naturally spins down. When not in use, the lever locks down to sit flush with the lid, making it easy to store.
Constructed from BPA-free plastic, the lime green basket is housed in a transparent bowl. Measuring 26 cm in diameter and with a depth of around 13 cm, this spinner is ideal for feeding a family. Saving even more washing-up, the bowl can also be used to serve your salad. Once you’ve finished your meal, the basket, bowl and lids all separate easily, for straightforward cleaning.
1. OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner
- Push down operation for one-handed spinning
- Patented brake mechanism that’s quick and easy unloading
- Elegant spin and serve bowl
- 26 cm diameter – large enough for a family
- Transparent lids to see when your leaves are ready
- Lock down button that’s convenient for storage
- Basket doubles as a colander – wash and dry in one container
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- BPA-free plastic that’s safe for food
Offering an alternative mechanism to many conventional models, the OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner can truly be operated one-handed. Simply by pressing down on the non-slip button, central to the design, excess water is effortlessly removed from your salad leaves. And if you’re in a hurry, there’s no need to wait for the spinner to stop rotating naturally: apply the patented brake system, at the touch of a button.
The white spinner basket (which can also be used as a colander) sits within a durable, BPA-free plastic bowl. With a diameter of 26 cm, this salad spinner is large enough to cater for a family meal.
Both lids – one to top the basket and the other housing the spinning mechanism – are transparent, allowing you to easily see when your food is ready. As the bowl is clear and elegantly styled, it can also be used for serving your salad dish.
When it comes to cleaning, the OXO separates into four dishwasher-safe components. As the button can be locked down into the lid, it takes up less space in your kitchen cupboard, too. Thoughtful design and an abundance of practical features puts OXO’s Good Grips Salad Spinner at the top of our best salad spinner list.