A portable folding table is very versatile and can be used for many different purposes – Picnics, camping, barbeques in the garden and dining in your home. Since it’ll have to withstand a heavy load on top, the table needs to be sturdy. Here are 5 of the best folding tables of 2017.Mobile and tablet users just swipe across...
Redwood Leisure 6ft.
Redstone 4 ft.
Popamazing 4 ft.
Hartleys 6 ft.
Palm Springs 6 ft.
|Frame||25 x 1mm Steel Tube||Steel||Aluminium||Steel||Steel|
|Table Top||40mm Moulded Plastic||Moulded Plastic||Moulded Plastic||Moulded Plastic||Moulded Plastic|
|Max. Load||150 KG||300 KG||N/A||150 KG||N/A|
- 180 x 75 x 74cm
- 90 x 75 x 9cm
- 122 x 61 x 73cm
- 61 x 61 x 10cm
- 120 x 60 x 55/68cm
- 60 x 60 x 6.5cm
- 182 x 76 x 76cm
- 91 x 76cm
- 182 x 74 x 74cm
- 91 x 74 x 8cm
|Price||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**||**CHECK PRICE**|
Top Features | Best Folding Tables
- Our Rating – This is based on our own research in product testing and user feedback. Clicking on each product takes you to the product page where you can read customer reviews on the product you’re interested in.
- Best Value / Top Rated – Products that we consider to excel in a certain area such as value for money, reputation or technology have been given one of our aforementioned labels of recognition.
- Frame – A thick frame is sturdier but also heavier so it’s ideal to have the right balance between durability and portability. However, the most important factor in a folding table’s durability is the way in which it’s constructed particularly at the hinges.
- Table Top – Most folding tables have moulded plastic for table tops as it’s durable and lightweight. It may be surrounded by a metal frame which protects the edges from bumps and scratches.
- Securing Pins – Usually located beneath the table top and helps to support the weight on the table. These are a must if you plan on testing the table’s weight capacity.
- Locking Hinge – Helps to secure the table when it’s folded in half.
- Adjustable Height – Some folding tables can be set at two or three different heights which accomodates adults and kids for different purposes.
- Price – If you want to know the price of any of the models, just click on the Buy Now button or Check Price and you’ll be redirected to the product page. The reason we don’t put prices is because they constantly change and there are so many sellers offering different prices.
How to Buy a Folding Table
The material of the frame for compact tables can vary since it can be wooden, plastic or metal. Whichever material you decide on, make sure the frame is thick and sturdy which will ensure the stability of the table. A thin frame can cause your table to topple over easily even if the material is strong.
Ideally, look for a thick metal frame as it’s less likely to bend or break.
There should be rubber grips fitted onto the bottom of each end of the frame legs which will prevent your table from slipping or moving about when in use. It’s best if these grips are not removable otherwise it may be coming off constantly which can be a hassle.
A folding table will not have the same strength as a regular table and even then it depends on the material. Each design, size and material of the table will determine the maximum weight it can hold. For example, a small folding table that is wooden would typically have a maximum weight of 30-50kg.
Tables with a plastic top can typically hold up to 150-300kg depending on the size. For example, a 6ft size can hold up to this weight which is ideal for DIY purposes.
Folding tables come in many sizes so you will need to consider what you will be using the table for. For example, if it’s for camping or picnics, then it’s best to go for one that will fit in the boot of your car easily without having to fold the seats down.
Some people use foldaway tables as an extra temporary dining table when they have dinner parties so you may want to consider how many people can fit around that table comfortably.
Many tables will have the option for the height to be adjusted. Usually, the height can be adjusted fairly high but you may want to test this out by sitting down. This is best to do if the table is to be used for eating purposes otherwise you may end up knocking your food on the floor.
Ease of Use
Most compact tables are fairly lightweight but the bigger the size is, it becomes awkward to carry so may not be so portable.
In this case, look for tables with carry handles for ease of portability. It would also be a good idea to see how the table is when it is folded up but make sure it’s easy to open up as well.
To ensure your foldaway table does not collapse when it is in use, make sure you check how to keep the table opened up.
Some may require securing pins to keep the table frame in place when it is opened up and others may have hinges in the frame that locks in place.
Hinges are fine for smaller tables but in large tables, it is best to go for securing pins. For stability purposes, look for extra legs in the middle of the table too. These pins should be securable on either side and in the middle legs.
To prevent your table from weakening, make sure it’s leaning on one of its edges on soft ground. Fold up tables should always be folded up and secured when it is stored away.
There is a potential risk of damage and weakening to the frame if the table is left open with its pins in place.
Your compact table should always be stored somewhere that is dry and free from damp and mould. Covering it with a waterproof fabric would be ideal as well to keep dust and sunlight to prevent fading. It would be a good idea to check your table comes with a cover as some will.
A battered and worn out looking table is not very attractive particularly if you are using it to display things. Poor care can also result in damage to the table which can weaken the frame.
If you’ve taken the time to choose a good folding table, then it needs to be taken care of properly to ensure it stays in good condition which will then last a very long time.
Here’s a demonstration video of a folding table by the company Lifetime. Despite being an American manufacturer, many good folding tables fhave similar or the same features.
Why Use a Folding Table?
Having a folding table on hand can be very useful as it can be used for almost everything. It will come in handy when you go camping or on picnics, for functions/exhibitions, as a temporary dining/TV dinner table or for craft work.
Not only that but you could also use it to put things on temporarily when needed instead of leaving things on the floor or scattered around.
Using a foldaway table is better for your back as you will not have to keep bending over to put things on the floor. Most people tend to keep a small folding table in their car for when they go travelling because it’s easily portable and doesn’t take up much space as it folds flat.