Steam mops offer fantastic household cleaning without the use of harsh chemicals, although some can be used with detergent for tackling really tough stains. Pet hair removal, cleaning tiles, upholstery, even defrosting freezers – they have so many uses.
Once you realise how versatile they are, you’ll wonder how you managed without one! To help you decide which steam cleaner to buy, here are some steam mop reviews to give you a glimpse of the potential of these indispensable items. You can also compare the below models in our comparison table.
Our Top 10 Best Steam Mops Reviewed
10. Morphy Richards 720020
- Removable handheld steam cleaner for portable convenience
- Generous 400ml water capacity so you spend less time refilling
- Option to refill during use means that you can pause and quickly go back to steam cleaning
- Great value for money
The Morphy Richards 720020 provides great value for money as it can be used as an upright and handheld without demanding a higher price tag. Plus, it comes with a multitude of accessories and attachments for multipurpose cleaning.
The capacious water tank of 400ml is large and transparent so you can easily see when it needs to be refilled, though it won’t be often. A chunky steam trigger is used so steam activation is easier. Its floorhead is designed for simple manoeuvrability, allowing you to wind around tables and chairs and get into tight corners.
Easy to assemble, the touch of a button is all it takes to convert it into a handheld model that can be put to work on curtains, windows, mirror and tiles, leaving them gleaming and hygienically clean. The Morphy Richards 720020 is a versatile and effective steam cleaner that we rate as one of the best steam mops currently in terms of value for money.
9. Vax S2S-1 Hard Floor Pro
- Optimized for cleaning hard floors
- One of the more lightweight steam mops weighing only 2.9 kg
- Useful 8 metre cord for a longer reach
The Vax S2S-1 is easy to use – simply fill one tank with water, the other with the VX detergent, wait for a minute, and you’re good to go.
The included 250ml Vax steam detergent enables grease and grime to be more effectively cleaned than using water alone, but water alone is fine for straightforward steam cleaning. It’s supplied with two micro fibre pads, securely held in place with Velcro, which can be washed in the washing machine when dirty.
With an 8-metre cord and a generous 500ml tank, the Vax S2S-1 makes cleaning a wide range of sealed floor surfaces a lot easier, while the carpet glider attachment is able to quickly refresh carpets and rugs. If your main purpose is cleaning hard floors, then the S2S-1 by Vax will do an effective job.
8. Morphy Richards 720507 Luna Plus
- Light up floor head and control panel to heighten visibility and help to give a thorough cleaning
- Vibrating floor head designed to agitate and get rid of stubborn dirt
- Variable steam selection options for more control over cleaning different surfaces
- Shoulder strap for easy carrying when steam cleaning
Something that’s rarely seen in steam mops, the Morphy Richards 720507 Luna Plus is equipped with a smart light up control panel that lets you turn on the guidance light while operating the vibrating floor head, which is designed to agitate and effectively loosen dirt.
The Luna Plus is heavier than your average steam mop at 3.1 kg but it’s provided with a handy shoulder strap making task such as cleaning windows a lot easier.
You can choose from upright, handheld and 15 cleaning options as it comes with a generous selection of attachments. The Luna Plus is an impressive upgrade from its previous model, and it’ll make quick work of the toughest of stains.
7. Vax S86-SF-P Steam Fresh Pet
- Massive 30 minutes of steam time
- Pet pad and pet steam detergent helps to hygienically clean and neutralise unpleasant smells
- Steam Boost function is designed to deeply penetrate stubborn stains
- Extra long 9 metre cord, which is one of the longest for steam mops
Bad pet odour will be effectively eradicated using the Vax S86-SF-P Steam Fresh Pet steam mop. As with any sort of pet cleaning product, cleaning needs to be quick and effective, which is why this steam mop is able to heat up in a rapid 15 seconds and provide a huge 30 minutes of steam time – much better times than the majority of other models.
Pushing the steam boost function provides a powerful jet steam designed to agitate and remove difficult stains, such as burnt-on food. Having a 500ml water tank combined with a seperate 300ml detergent tank, you should be able to clean the house without needing to stop for a refill.
Ergonomically designed and intuitive to use, it’s easy to change the various accessories and it looks stylish too with its silver with purple trim. If you have pets, then the Vax S86-SF-P steam mop should be a staple in your household.
6. Shark Lift-Away S3901
- Shark Steam Pocket Technology designed to double your cleaning area
- 3 steam settings (dust, mop and scrub) for more flexible steam cleaning
- Detachable handheld steamer at just the press of a button
- Good power cord length of 7 metres
Robust and sturdy, the Shark Lift Away adopts a large rectangular head rather than a triangular one, and as a result, it makes quick work of mopping large areas. For more control, it has variable steam settings to suit a wide variety of floor surfaces and is excellent at rejuvenating carpets and rugs.
It’s also great at lifting furniture marks and removing pet hair and stains. The “Lift-Away” handheld steam cleaner performs brilliantly when it comes to deep cleaning tiles, windows, mirrors and bathroom sinks.
As an extremely versatile steam mop; you can use the direct steam nozzle to make quick work of defrosting an iced-up freezer, freshening curtains and cleaning grout – There’s not much that cannot be cleaned with the Shark Lift-Away.
5. Vax S7 Total Home Master
- Converts into a handheld cleaner for tackling multiple surfaces
- Assortment of tools and accessories, totaling 16 pieces
- Long 8 metre power cord which is longer than most
- Generous 400ml water capacity meaning less water refilling
Despite not being as advanced as Vax’s Combi series, the Vax S7 is still one of the best steam mops around and appears in a positive light in most other reviews.
It’s a quality steam cleaner that is able to thoroughly and quickly clean a large number of surfaces and can easily be converted into a handheld steamer (without being detached), a process that is quick and easy.
Weighing only 2.7 kg and even less when converted to a handheld steamer, the Vax S7 Total Home Master is easy to manoeuvre and benefits from a much needed large water tank and strong handle to be suitable for floor and mobile cleaning.
4. Vileda 146575
- Heats up in an impressive 15 seconds, making it one of the fastest heating steam mops
- Extremely lightweight as it weighs only 2.5kg, which is lighter than most
- Large 400ml water tank which means more steaming and less refilling
The svelte and streamlined Vileda steam mop in black with red trim represents good bang for your buck as its sole focus is dedicated floor cleaning. It comes with two replacement pads and a refill jug which is easy to refill via a handy access hatch. Granted, there are a lot less accessories than other steam mops, but it has only one purpose.
Features include variable setting for delicate floors, and a carpet glider for quickly refreshing rugs and carpets; it fluffs up the pile without leaving them wet – in fact, they can be walked upon straight after. It only weighs 2.5 kg so it’s easy to carry around the house.
The Vileda steam mop is great for marble and stone floors, cleaning them effectively without leaving any trace of residue. The microfibre cloths are easy to clean – simply pop them in the washing machine – although it is recommended to avoid using fabric conditioner as this can affect their ability to soak up water.
The 6 metre cable neatly wraps around the base unit when not in use. The Vileda steam mop is a great all-rounder that constantly delivers great cleaning results for all floor types.
3. Morphy Richards 720025 Total Clean Pets
- Extra-absorbent cloth to cope with all kinds of pet-related spillages
- Fairly lightweight and straightforward to use
- Large 400ml water tank which provides more steam
- Detachable handheld steamer allows mobile cleaning
The Morphy Richards 720025 is undoubtedly one of the best steam mops around in terms of value, credit to its two-in-one design that easily converts into a handled steam cleaner and pet focus.
It’s able to produce steam in around 30 seconds which is standard for most steam mops. It operates with a chunky trigger, so it’s easier to control the amount of steam compared to other steam mops.
This steam mop is aimed at pet owners but is ideal for cleaning an abundance of surfaces with the array of accessories and attachments included.
It’s particularly good at cleaning light-coloured upholstery and is highly effective at removing stains from carpet – if the soiled area is pre-treated with stain remover. Another advantage of this steam cleaner is the fact that it’s particularly thin so it doesn’t take up much storage space.
2. Vax S86-SF-C Steam Fresh Combi
- Compact scrub brush integrated with the floor head for tackling stubborn stains
- Triangular floor head for cleaning corners and awkward areas
- Detachable handheld steamer for portable steam cleaning
- Long 8 metre power cord, providing more convenient access to further areas
The white and grey Vax S86-SF-C offers a versatile steam cleaning experience throughout the home with its detachable handheld unit and lightweight frame. It leaves floors and surfaces dry in very little time, making it ideal for busy households with children and pets. The detergent smells lovely and fresh, although it can be used with water alone.
The Vax S86-SF-C heats up in as little as 20 seconds and there is a wide range of tools to clean many different surfaces. The grout cleaning brush, for example, is excellent at shifting blackened mildew from kitchen and bathroom seals.
You can even use it to remove melted wax from carpet – simply place a small piece of greaseproof baking paper over the hardened wax, apply the steamer and the wax will be absorbed by the brown paper! You should also remember to visit the Vax website to register this steam mop for a 2 year warranty.
1. Vax S86-SF-CC Steam Fresh Combi Classic
- Rapid Heat Up Time – Good to go in 20 seconds, which is faster than most.
- Angular Floor Head – Designed to easily get into corners and hard to reach places.
- Removable Handheld Steamer – Its built-in portable steamer can be removed for mobile cleaning.
- Versatile Tools – Includes an array of accessories and attachments to make steam cleaning adaptable.
The Vax S86-SF-CC Steam Fresh Combi Classic combines the power of steam with detergent for a devastatingly effective way of breaking down dirt, grease and grime. However, using detergent is not absolutely necessary, as it also works very well with water alone.
With a 13-piece tool and accessories kit, and the fact that this cleaner is guaranteed for two years makes the Vax S86-SF-CC is a reliable and versatile purchase.
While it’s not the lightest due to the built-in handheld steamer, mopping floors is easy as it’s easy to manoeuvre thanks to its long cable and angled floor head, which makes getting into corners a piece of cake.
With just a click of a button, it’s also straightforward to convert it into a handheld steamer for mobile cleaning of taps, tiles, windows, mirrors, sinks and more.
Another positive feature is the fact that the microfibre cloth is firmly held into place with strong grips and does not come off unless you want it to. An extra long power lead and convenient in-built storage for brushes and nozzles are two more features that make the Vax S86-SF-CC such a convenient and pleasurable steam mop to use.
Here are some other steam mop articles we recommend:
- A brief steam mops buying guide by Currys
- Some essential tips on buying steam mops from Good Housekeeping
- How to clean different types of floors with a steam mop
A user review on the Vax S86-SF-C Steam Fresh Combi. Watch it in action…