There’s not much more annoying than having fruit flies buzzing around your home, particularly the kitchen. Not only are they a nuisance, but they can also leave behind harmful pathogens on your food. Knowing how to get rid of fruit flies in the house will ensure that you, your family and your guests do not become sick.
This trap is very clever as the flies are drawn to the smell of the fermenting apples, which is what apple cider vinegar is made from. Before you begin to assemble this trap, make sure to warm the vinegar, as fruit flies find it irresistible.
To make the trap you will need:
- A jar or plastic bottle cut in half
- A funnel – shop bought or you can make one from paper
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dish soap
Making the Trap
1. Pour the apple cider vinegar into the jar.
2. Add a few drops of dish soap as this will break the surface tension and prevent the fruit flies from escaping, meaning that they will drown.
3. Then insert the funnel. This will entice the flies into the jar, but again they won’t be able to figure their way out.